One skill that I believe every man should have is cooking. Gone are the days when the women are expected to prepare meals and know how to cook. Gone are the days where men can be too proud and not enter a kitchen to prepare a meal. In our current time, cooking is a skill that must be mastered, by both men and women, but I'll be honest...if a man can cook, women really like that.


On my page I'm going to share some of my favorite recipes. I've gotten recipes from all over; websites, cook books, family recipes, or even a few from my days working in the Service Deli at Costco when things were actually made, and not just "put-together," from scratch.


So I hope you enjoy some of the things that I share. I'll try to link recipes if I get them from somewhere online, or provide any personal recipes to the best of my abilities. So check back every so often for some new things. Or, if you have something that you'd like me to try out, send it to me, and I'll give it a try along with a review.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Okonomiyaki


Okonomiyaki is a very interesting dish. I can best describe this as a Cabbage Pancake. Yes, that right, a cabbage pancake. It is very easy to make, and can be very filling. For those that have friends that don't eat meat, but are ok with eggs, this is great also. Now this particular recipe I came across while shopping at Marukai in Little Tokyo. Like the pancakes that we make at home or go to Denny's or IHOP for, you can be very creative in what you decide to do with this. You can go to www.otafukufoods.com to see a few variations of what I give you here. So, what do you need?

Needs (for 3 servings of 6" pancakes):

  • Okonomiyaki flour
  • 1 Green Onions (I like to add more)
  • Half a Cabbage
  • 3 Eggs
  • 3/4 cup of Water
  • Okonomiyaki Sauce
  • Sliced Meat (Pork, Beef, Chicken, even Shrimp!), optional
Directions:

  1. Cut/Shred cabbage into thin strips. Slice green onions. Set this aside.
  2. Mix water and Okonomiyaki flour in a mixing bowl. (Hint: use a bowl big enough to put all the ingredients in so you don't have to wash as many dishes). Mix until the flour has completely dissolved.
  3. Mix all the other ingredients in with the batter, cabbage, green onions, eggs. Mix all the ingredients together, but don't "over mix" as the directions say. You, in essence, want everything coated in the batter (Photo 1)
  4. Spread the batter in a skillet to about 6", top with your choice of meat and let that cook for 3 minutes (Hint: don't press down on the pancake) (Photo 2).
  5. Flip the pancake, turning the meat side down. Cook for another 4 minutes.
  6. Flip it one last time (meat side back up), and cook it for another 3 minutes (Photo 3).
  7. Plate the Okonomiyaki on a plate and serve it with Okonomiyaki sauce. You can add weaweed, katsuo bushi, or anything else you like on top...now enjoy.
Photo 1: Okonomiyaki Mix
Photo 2: Sliced Meat
Photo 3: Cooking it up










No comments:

Post a Comment